Friday, July 10, 2009

spending money

Since I don't have a job and there's no money coming in, I really should not be spending money. But since I don't have a job, I have a lot of free time to go shopping (my class is also over). It's really a vicious cycle. So off on the sidebar, I decided to start tallying up how much I spend on these little shopping expeditions. I'm only including the money spent on non-necessities, like for crafts and such. I was going to include money spent on eating out as well, but then I figured that would be too depressing.

First up, remember how I was so upset that Wal-Mart no longer carries fabric? Well my friend X mentioned to me the other day that there was still one in the Austin area that does! So I was all excited and decided to head down there to check it out. It's at 9300 I-35 S, in the Southpark Meadows shopping center. The fabric selection was somewhat miserable, definitely nothing worth a special trip for. At least I now know it's there, and since there was also a Hobby Lobby nearby, I stopped by there as well.


When I go shopping, sometimes I just can't help myself. I tell myself I'm there to browse, and then I keep picking things up. From the cheap fabric, I got one yard of checkered light pink and one yard of purple with white polka dots. I think I'm going to turn them into aprons ... we'll see. I also picked up some forks (four for a dollar). They're really cheaply made (obviously) so they bend easily, an attribute which might come in handy for some projects - once I figure out what kind of project would use forks. Then there were just some more random supplies for in-the-works projects.


Next up, CraigsList finds! Woohoo! I love CraigsList, and the free section is my friend. But things there go fast, so I was pleasantly surprised when I received a positive reply to my e-mail. I picked up this paper shredder and trashcan (love that shape and color) from a girl who was moving out of her apartment and didn't have room for them in her car. After the trashcan got a good cleaning, I decided it was too pretty to use as a trashcan, so it's holding some fabric and rolls of cross-stitch fabric.


Another CraigsList find, this time in the household section, are some picture frames. Twelve of them for $5, not bad. They're all the same, outer dimensions about 9.5" square (square!). They're a dark kind of wood, but I think I'm going to leave them that color instead of putting in the extra effort to paint them black like I was originally planning. These will also be for a project ... eventually. Maybe something with frames and forks?

No comments:

Post a Comment