Saturday, July 11, 2009

breadsticks

I have a thing for carbohydrates. I admit it, my diet is not balanced at all. Since I love to bake, I love cakes, cookies, and breads. Therefore, I made breadsticks. Yes, I still have a large amount of that slightly weird white bread left, but I needed breadsticks. Yummy ones, too. The below recipe is an altered version of this one.


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter (melted)

  • Process:
  • combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
  • gradually add milk to mixture and stir to form a soft dough
  • turn onto a floured surface - knead gently 3-4 times
  • roll dough into a rectangle slightly smaller than your pan
  • cut into strips the size desired for breadsticks
  • pour melted butter into your baking pan (I used a 9"x13" glass pan)
  • place breadsticks into the butter and turn to coat
  • sprinkle oregano and parmesan cheese on top of butter-coated dough sticks
  • bake in oven at 450F for 14-18 minutes (or until golden brown)

  •    

    They actually turned out pretty good. A bit on the chewy side (probably because I worked the dough a bit too much) but all in all tasty and rather easy. So now I have two bread things on the baked goods counter. Yep, you read that correctly: baked goods counter. My roommate and I have an entire section of our counter dedicated to stuff we've baked (usually by me ... she ain't as "domestic" as I am). The slightly weird white bread doesn't taste so bad when it's toasted and eaten with a lot of butter. I also have strawberry preserves and orange marmalade, so I'll be good. I will eat it all. I will.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment