Thursday, July 16, 2009

geeky necklace


I have a habit of accumulating "things", so I'm trying to clear stuff out by either throwing stuff away (unlikely) or using them in projects (slowly). So I rummaged a bit in my odds and ends box and found this circuit board from what I think was an old radio that was really static-y and not very good. And, hello, but ... who uses a radio anymore? Ergo, I made it into a necklace.

   

I liked the circuit board because it was brown rather than that green that most of them are. Also it's a pretty weird shape. I found a d-ring (also from my odds and ends box) that just happened to fit that shape beautifully. Sure I probably could've gone without attaching the d-ring, but I think it gives it more substance and it keeps the back (which isn't completely smooth due to the sautering) a bit from me and my top. I just super glued the d-ring to the circuit, let it dry, and it stuck just fine. The black leather cord came from one of my previous shopping trips, so I was all set to attach fixings and go.

   

I strung some silver wire (on hand) through the headphone jack and a coil on the circuit in order to attach a jump ring on it. I kind of messed up a bit, pulled too hard here, twisted it wrong there, so I had to secure things with some crazy glue. Not perfect, but no one will know. Then I strung the cord through the ring and stuck on cord crimps (available at Michael's or any hobby store with a jewelry section). Instead of using a clasp, I just closed it off with some jump rings since I made the cord long enough that I can just slip it over my head. I might attach a clasp later on, but I don't have any clasps on hand, so eh.

All in all, quick and easy. Haven't worn it out yet, but I will. It's pretty geeky since it's a circuit board, but I think it's cute. I'm going to be a bit busy for the next few days, but I'll try to keep posts coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment