Thursday, July 2, 2009

making bread


Doesn't that look ... odd? Yes, I made bread in a pie pan. It's kinda weird. Usually I halve the bread recipes that I find, but this time I forgot. Therefore, I had a whole lotta dough and since I had already filled up the loaf pan and square pan, I resorted to using my trusty pie pan. I used a different recipe for bread this time, and it wasn't that great. Although I'm not sure if it's not that great because of all the weird stuff I did to the recipe or if it just wasn't that great of a recipe to begin with. Either way, I think I'm going to go back to the rosemary bread recipe and just tweak that to suit me.

   

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 6-7 cups bread flour

  • Process:
  • mix the yeast, warm water, and 1 teaspoon of sugar together
  • let the mixture stand until it foams (the yeast blossoms)
  • add three cups of water, 1/2 cup of sugar, and flour
  • add salt once the mixture is thick
  • add flour until you cannot add any more - knead
  • place the dough in an oiled bowl covered with a towel
  • put the bowl in a warm place and let rise for an hour
  • punch the dough down and let it rise for another hour
  • bake in oven at 375F for 25-30 minutes until browned

  • The thing is, I ran out of bread flour about three cups in. Therefore I started using all-purpose flour, until I ran out of that too. I really need to start planning better. Anyway, that's why in the picture of my dough rising, it still looks pretty wet ... because it was. Eh. Tastes okay, but it doesn't have that yummy chewiness that I generally like in my breads because I ran out of bread flour. And it just looks weird. But now I'm stuck with a lot of bread. I wouldn't give it to any of my friends because it has a slightly weird taste, probably because of the random dash of honey I threw in (I don't know why), and a slightly weird texture, probably because of the flour shenanigans.


    While it was rising, I cooked my sweet potato. The oven was already on since I find it easier to let the dough rise when it's sitting on top of a hot oven. Usually I just put the oven on a low setting, but I figured I might as well use the oven rather than let all that heat go to waste. After washing the sweet potato, I stuck it in the oven for an hour and a half at 350F. Yum.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment