Monday, January 21, 2013

potato wedges - easy peasy

I'm not a good cook. I boiled my first egg in my junior year of college ... after asking my roommate how to hard-boil an egg. Seriously. I'm not even kidding. My mother is a fabulous cook, but maybe when I was little I burned myself one too many times on the stove, because I don't like that thing!


The oven, however, is my friend. One of the things I make way more than I oughta is potato wedges. Why? Because potatoes are cheap, I've never been one to turn down starchy goodness, and potato wedges are easy to make and easy to eat. It's pretty forgiving so it's impossible to make them wrong unless you leave them in the oven for hours and burn them to a crisp. Sometimes I use red potatoes and sometimes I use baking potatoes ... whatever I happen to have or whatever's on sale at the grocery store.

Scrub the potatoes clean, slice them into wedges, and pour on chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and/or whatever else. Then pour in some vegetable oil and mix it all so that every wedge is coated with enough seasoning and oil. When you think it's good enough, line them up on a baking sheet and stick them in the oven at 350F (or thereabouts) and let them bake for an hour (or thereabouts). Potato wedges don't take much preparation or thought. They are, in a word, ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment