Tuesday, January 1, 2013

new year, visiting an old project

It is now 2013! 2012 proved to be very lackluster in terms of me posting on this blog, but we'll see what the new year brings. Since it's the holidays, I'm back at home, and once again forced to go through my old stuff from architecture school and weed out the weak (in other words: clear out all my junk at the strongly-worded request of my mother).


In one bag I found a bunch of rectangular pieces of laser cut matboard, and I realized that they were extra pieces from a model I built in 2008. It was for a construction class, and the project was to build a partial model of a building facade, so the rectangular pieces were the exterior cladding elements.Why I kept them for almost five years ... I have no idea.


I also found little packages of some of the smaller construction elements, all laser cut from white matboard as well. And looking at some of those beams ... goodness gracious I can't believe I spent so much time gluing those little pieces! And they didn't even get used! I definitely laser cut way too many. Either I was really wasteful, really worried that I'd mess up, or just really bad at planning.


The building my partner and I chose was the Ricola Storage Buiding (1987) in Laufen, Switzerland, by Herzog and de Meuron. This is a detail of the completed model, which only exists in pictures since it was thrown into the trash shortly after completion due to lack of space. Well, now its spare parts are in the trash as well. Sadness. But hey, it's 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment