Wednesday, February 1, 2012

making pork meatballs

I've never pretended to be a good cook, and I'm not much for experimenting. But I had some ground pork in my freezer that I wanted to use, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it. To be honest, I'm not sure why I even bought it. I was in Chinatown and the meat is just so much cheaper down there than up here, I felt compelled to buy some. Yeah ... I impulse-bought pork.


Anyway, I made pork meatballs out of it. It was actually kind of fun to make them. I wasn't really sure what went into meatballs, but how hard could they be? They're basically just balls of meat, right? Well, a quick search of AllRecipes led me to a myriad of different recipes, so I decided to just wing it. When I made bread the last time (it was a rosemary-potato bread), I turned part of the loaf into breadcrumbs. I mixed some of those breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Then I was going to add an egg ... but I forgot. I squished all of that with the ground pork and formed meatballs. Yay!


Then I wasn't sure whether to fry or bake them. Online it seemed like either way would work, so I decided to just fry them in some olive oil because I didn't want to turn on the oven just for a few meatballs. They fried up pretty nice, but it probably would've been better if I'd made them smaller. I cooked up some penne, simmered up some marinara (with the meatballs), and voila. The meatballs were a bit dry, probably since I didn't add any egg and I cooked them too long because I was worried about them still being pink inside. Anyhow, it was a learning experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment