Thursday, October 22, 2009

baked + gifts + space

Whew. First I must mention that I made cookies again. Lots and lots of oatmeal cookies. I used the same recipe that I had used in this previous post, but I made the cookies a bit smaller and multiplied the recipe by 1.5. Ended up with about 70 cookies, stuffed about 25 per bag, and sent them on their way to studio. The rest stayed home and were promptly devoured.


Then I made rolls. Yay! Don't have a loaf pan here, so I haven't been able to make bread again, but I do have a baking sheet so I tried out this recipe and I think they turned out rather yummy. Pretty easy to make too. Next time I'll probably halve the recipe because this made a lot of rolls (not that my roommate minds).


Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
  • 2 1/2 cup warm water (divided)
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 7 cups flour

  • Process:
  • dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water
  • in a separate bowl cream together the sugar and shortening
  • add egg, salt, the yeast mixture (after making sure it blossomed), remaining 2 cups of water, and about 4 cups flour
  • mix until smooth and keep mixing in flour until it turns into a soft dough
  • turn out and knead for about 6-8 minutes
  • place dough in a greased bowl, turn the dough over (to make sure it's all oiled up), and cover the bowl
  • place the bowl in the refrigerator to rise overnight or for at least 8 hours
  • the next morning, punch the dough down and form rolls (about 36)
  • grease a baking sheet and roll the rolls around on it to cover them in oil (this will allow you to take the rolls apart after they bake together)
  • cover and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour (until the dough has doubled - the rolls should start squishing together)
  • bake in oven at 400F for 12-14 minutes until lightly browned


  • I love getting mail! My sister mailed me this cute little spiders thing. It's currently hanging from a light switch in our hallway. Festive-y, right?


    A while back I won a giveaway from SimplyNu, and I received this delicious piece of handmade Castile soap in the mail. It's called Daisy Castile and I must say ... its scent is heavenly (and the flower shape is too cute). They're pretty new and their etsy shop has a lovely range of candles, soaps, and stationery. So, a big thanks to SimplyNu! I wish them the best with their store.


    Last but not least, my current creative space. Lots of black, I know. Halloween is next Saturday, can you guess what I'm up to? There's black tulle, black elastic, black feathers, and some silver and black jewelry. I rather like my costume idea, but since it has yet to be created, I won't say much now.

    Linking over to kootyoo for a whole bunch of creative spaces. And over to Southern Hospitality for recipes!Goodness gracious, this was a long post!

    3 comments:

    1. The rolls look delicious! Cute ideas. Thanks for posting.

      ReplyDelete
    2. The bags of cookies are lovely!!! What a nice gift :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm such a cookie monster, that I love your post and adore the "packaging"! Thanks for sharing.

      sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete