Friday, August 21, 2009

gifting pillows

I'm back in Austin! Actually, I've been in Austin for a while but I didn't have Internet. But now that I do (after wrestling with Time Warner for forever), I'm going to be better about posting and being productive. I seem to say that a lot.

While I was away one of my friends had a birthday so I wasn't able to make it to her little birthday shindig. So I made her a pair of pillows for her new place. Well, it was partially making her a gift, and partially me teaching myself to use my sewing machine. I'm still not very good at it and none of my lines come out very straight. All in all, I still really like sewing by hand (even though it's time consuming as heck).


I was planning on making pillows with a nice quilt-y pattern, but I quickly realized that I didn't have enough control to manage that. So I just pieced together some fabric. I sewed it all together, then thought they seemed a bit ... bland. So I added some color around the border.


Then sewed the edge, flipped it inside out, stuffed, blind stitched some of the funky areas, then blind stitched the openings closed. Eh. These took me quite a long time to make, probably just because I'm so darn lazy.

width="400" />

They're not that great, but I'm still learning. Tied a ribbon around them and despite my measuring, they're not exactly the same size. Close, but no. Argh. Well hopefully she'll at least appreciate the thought. School starts in a week, so I'm off to celebrate the last remaining days of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment