Sunday, January 31, 2010

margarita cupcakes

I've wanted to make these for a really long time. I bought lime juice back in September specifically to make these. Thankfully that stuff stays fine for a while and the rest of the ingredients I have on hand normally. The original recipe is from a book called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World". I'm not vegan, but some of their cupcakes are AMAZING. I tweak their recipes to suit my non-vegan pantry, but basically the credit goes there.


Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup lime juice
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons tequila
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Process:
  • mix together the wet ingredients with the sugar (first six items on the ingredients list)
  • separately mix the remaining ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt)
  • then mix the two mixtures together
  • pour into muffin tins - will make 12
  • bake in oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes

  • Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup butter (softened so it's easier to mix)
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon tequila
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar

  • The cupcakes are light, moist, and delicious. And even though these are "margarita" cupcakes, you don't taste any alcohol in the cake itself - it's all in the frosting. So once the cupcakes were cool, I whipped some up. There's no real need to follow a recipe - just simple frosting with lime juice and tequila instead of water. My hand kind of tipped a bit in the process ... so my frosting turned out to be quite, um, strong. But yummy!

    My roommate hasn't been home since I made these, so I'll have to make sure to tell her about the alcohol-content of the cupcakes. Then again, that would be quite the surprise, expecting a simple vanilla cupcake and getting a taste of a margarita instead. That girl better love me. Seriously, I must be in the running for best roommate ever.

    Oh, and a belated linkage here to Bake at 350, which is having a little party. Next on my list, after I buy coconut and pineapple juice, are these pina colada cupcakes. Yum!

    2 comments:

    1. Oh, wishing I had one of your cupcakes for breakfast this morning! They look so moist & delicious! :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow these sound so...interesting, but I'm sure they are good. I've never had a margarita...yet...when I turn 21 in June I'm sure that will change! What a clever little cupcake, though, I can't wait to try it!

      ReplyDelete